At school there wasn’t a sport that I didn’t try, but I ended up playing lots of rugby for my school and club, whilst competing in cross country running and athletics.
I entered my first triathlon when I was 17 and I was hooked. Since that day in Oct 1991 I have been a triathlete. My passion for the sport has taken me all over the world as an athlete and coach. I have been fortunate to spend some time training with many world-class athletes and coaches learning the tricks of the trade.
I studied at the University of Bath for a HND in Coach Education and Sports Performance, before taking over at Kelly College as the Triathlon Coach, where I have helped a number of junior athletes gain International selection in Triathlon, Duathlon and Modern Pentathlon. Currently I am studying for an MSc in Performance Coaching at the University of South Wales.
I am a British Triathlon Level 3 coach, British Triathlon Coach Educator, UKAD Clean Sport Educator, Level 2 Strength and Conditioning Coach, an ASA level 2-swim teacher and Newton Natural Running Coach
I have worked for:
• British Triathlon as the Welsh Performance Development Coach
• 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, Team Wales Head Triathlon Coach
• Kelly College as the triathlon coach and assisting with swim programme.
• British Triathlon at their high Performance Centres in Loughborough and Swansea.
• UK Athletics at the High Performance Centre in Bath.
• MPAGB at training camps and with local athletes.
• Bermuda Triathlon Association between 2006 and 2008, including the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, the ITU Triathlon World Championships in Lausane, Hamburg and Vancouver, the Rio Pan American Games and the Bejing Olympic Games.
• The University of Bath Swim School (teaching the little ones to swim).
As an athlete I have raced extensively in the UK and Ireland, over duathlon, sprint, standard, half and full Ironman distance,with many podium places but my most memorable achievements are:
• First Triathlon: Sheffield Sprint October 1991
• Irish Sprint Distance Champion in 2002
• 3 xIrish Long course runner up in Kenmare.
• 46th in the World Student triathlon in 2002,
• 48th Elite Long Course World Champs 2004.
• 10 Ironman finishes (pb of 9hr13min 29s at IM Florida 2008)
• Competed in my age group at 5 World Championships, with a best of 16th in 2000 in Perth, Australia.
• Sprint: Not sure but sub 1hr on several occasions
• Standard: 1:57.58 – Shropshire Triathlon June 1999
• Ironman: 9:13.29 – Ironman Florida November 2008 – still dreaming of a sub 9
• 5KM – 16:15 – Street, March 2001
• 10km – 33:50 – Bromham Pudding Run, December 2000
• HM – 1:13.xx – Bath, March 2001